From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 13:36:53 -0700
>I could leave the a/c on all day, but I have no doubt that my electric
>bill will be astronomical, and I'm looking for other solutions.

When I l had an apartment, I used a window a/c unit.  I ran the a/c all day
every day and my bill didn't rise more than $20-30 a month.  I had the a/c
unit in my bedroom and used a series of 3 fans to blow the cold air 20 feet
down the hallway into the ferret room.  The ferret room never exceeded 76
degrees even when the temperature was near 100.  When the temperature got
too ridiculous, I put a blanket over the open space between the bedrooms
and other living areas.  That kept the sleeping area nice and cool!

>would the breeze from a powerful all-apartment fan be of any help?

A fan simply blows the air around.  We (humans) feel cooler in a breeze
because the sweat on our skin evaporates which cools us.  Ferrets don't
sweat.  So the answer is NO!

>And BTW, what is the temperature at which ferts will suffer?
>85?

Some people say 80 degrees.  Myself?  I have a thermometer by the ferret
cages.  At 74, I'm watching the thermometer closely.  At 76, I'm taking
radical action.  A lady last summer lost 15 of her 16 ferrets to the heat
when the power went out and a/c wasn't on.  The only ferret that survived
was white and she speculated that the ferret survived because of the color.

In my mind, it ain't worth it to find out the exact temperature of
suffering.  To avoid the financial pinch, you can get your electric company
to average your bills so the extra amount is spread out through the entire
year.

Tips: Be sure to clean the filter monthly or the unit will ice and and not
put out cool air at all!  On really hot days, I want to make sure the power
is on.  I use the old fashioned answering machine that works on local
electric power.  I call the machine a couple times a day.  If it picks up,
I know I have power at my house!

    -Carla (not the shelter mom)