From:
"Ilena E. Ayala" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 07:27:41 -0400
Kerry wrote:
>Well Greg just called, and although the vet pronounced the well and
>healthy, in car on the way home Jakey barfed everywhere and then in the
>house he was having dry heaves while having horrible diarrhea.

Sounds like a vaccine reaction.  This is why folks should stay 30 minutes
after a shot at the vets.

>My sister who is a studying to be a vet thinks it is a case of too much
>live virus in the shots (distemper and rabies)

I hope your sister is just *beginning* her studies.  Rabies vaccine contains
only killed virus.  The only exceptions here in the US are special vaccines
for wildlife administration.  I doubt it's an issue with distemper either.
I think (anyone know?) that the problem might not even be the viral content
of the vaccine, but the ?suspension?  ?vehicle?  (not sure what the correct
word is) they mix it with.

If Jake got both shots at once, they won't know which shot he reacted too.
Next time he is due for a booster he should be premedicated and get one or
the other, but not both together.  Wait at least 2 weeks before giving the
second shot.

-Ilena Ayala