From:
"Phyllis A. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:44:01 -0500
I am glad that she came home.  I can imagine what you were going through.  I
once had my dog get out and she was gone for a week.  I did everything I
possible could.  My sister's brother-in-law saw her following a little boy
home from the store.  They knew where he live, which happened to be where my
sister had lived.  She had only been there a couple of times.  I guess she
remembered though and when she couldn't find her way, home she went there.

No matter how much you think you ferret proof, I don't think that you can
ever completely ferret proof.  Last night my three girls were out playing.
I started to put them up once, but they ran the other way, so I figured they
were not ready.  A little later when I put Charrity and Hope up, Faith was
no where to be found.  I looked, squeaked, rattled the crinkle sack, blew a
whistle and any thing I could think of, but nothing worked.  I went around
and moved what I could.  Then I started counting the seconds until Tom would
stop by.  I kept imagining her caught in somewhere and dying.  I though
Faith might come when she heard Tom's voice.  She loves Tom.  He couldn't
find her either.  He decided to get the other two out to see if they could
arise her.  He kept saying that she was just sleeping.  A minute or so after
he let Charrity down, I heard some scratching by the stereo and TV stands.
There is a small place under the stereo stand she can get into.  I think
that is where she crawled into and went to sleep.  That is also the spot I
think Charrity is hiding all my sock and that presents a problem.  My
apartment is so small, I cannot move things around.  If that is where all
my socks have gone, I will not be able to get them back until I move.

She used to come to a squeaky ball, but I haven't been able to find it since
I moved.  They all have been coming to their name, so I haven't worried
about it.  I tried to use one of their other squeaky toys.  I don't know if
she was so hard at sleep that she didn't hear it or since I is a different
pitch, she didn't put two and two together.  They only get to play with the
squeaky toy some.  I examine it every day to make sure there are no holes in
it or any major bites which could become hole soon.  I always get a toy that
has a built in squeakier that they cannot get out and swallow.  Charrity
loves to carry him and shake him like she is making sure it is dead.

I think I am going to try to get them to come to the wound of the whistle.
It isn't real loud, so it won't bother the neighbors.

Is Yum Yum doing OK now?  Every time I read of someone's ferret getting
outside, I cannot help think of all the things that they can get into that
would be harmful even fatal to them.  Please let me know.

Phyllis and the four Wigglies, Faith, Hope, Charrity and Charlie Brown