Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 06:43:23 -0600
>[Moderator's note: I won't jump into the debate other than to say that
>every patient is an individual -- what works for one may not work for
>another -- so, personally, I feel you might be over-generalizing."
>
>I think most vet practices have been using Iso.  for years now, but
>please don't take my word for it -- I am not a vet.  I do know for a
>fact that some do not use it, or at least not for every procedure, but
>there are often good reasons for that too -- it's a very complex issue
>and I'm not the one to be asking.  BIG]"

Yes, as I expected, I am probably over generalizing it, and I agree that
there are bound to be factors that I don't know about.  But, I would be
interested to know, without becoming a full blown vet, what factors would
rule out the use of the safer Isoflurane over other substances (just an
overview).  If I wanted my vet to use it, and they refused and opted for
something else, they would need to give me a sensible explanation of
why / why not.  As for vets who simply refuse to consider it altogether,
they are way too closed minded for *my* business.

>From chatting with a woman last night about Iso, I think I can
>understand why it wouldn't be used for everything; it seems to be a
>"shallow" sedative.  She said it wears off within ten minutes, so it
>wouldn't be deep enough for longer operations.

Now, I am wondering what is the MOST lethal sedative?  The worst of the
bunch?

Either way, since Iso has been around for a good while, in every case
when it was not used but could have been, and a ferret died needlessly,
that was wrong; a crime (of ignorance).  And, for perfectly healthy
ferrets to be put to death, for a needless teeth cleaning no less, is
a double crime.  It ought not be so.

Thanks,
Gary