Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 23:52:52 +0000
Hey Again,

I have decided that I like my grade in philosphy just fine.  Ain't life
grand.  Of course, I still have a portfolio to put together for creative
writing and a 10 page paper in critical theory.  Oh yeah, the phil final.
Freudian slip.

Some basic tips for the new owners out there.  Stuff that has worked for me.

Ferretone and/or Flax Seed Oil-this is a fatty acid supplement that is made
up of oil.  Some people use the flax seed since it has a lower vitamin a
content and you don't have to worry about *possible* toxicity in larger
doses.  I use this in several ways.  To clip nails- hold ferret on its back
like you cradle a baby, drop oil on belly.  Clip toenails while ferret is
occupied licking the oil up.  Works Great!  At the vet- pour a small amount
on the exam table while ferret is getting temp taken or shots.  They don't
even look up.  I also use it for treats too.  Of course I have to watch Miss
Delilah, she always tries to make off with the bottle!

Clorox-I put some in with all the ferret linens.  It is a wonderful all
around disinfectant.  You can also spray down surfaces with it to kill
germs, use 1 part clorox to 8 parts water.  I use this dilution to spray
down the cat boxes before I refill them.  It is the same thing my vet uses.

Baths-Mine may get one or two baths a year.  Yep, that's it.  Unless they
get into something, like the fireplace or play in the poop boxes.  I do have
one that is not descented.  None of them stink.  They have glossy coats.
What does stink is the linen and the litter boxes.  Clean those, not the
ferret.  When I do bathe them I use a tea tree oil shampoo safe for kittens.
It doesn't seem to dry their skin out, it is antiseptic and smells good.  If
they get dry skin, rub them down with a small amount of Jojoba oil and watch
the other ferrets try to lick them!

Toys-check out the cat toys!  Make sure to remove eyes and loose parts
before giving them.  Also check out heavy rubber dog toys.  The small balls
with bells inside are a favorite here.  Don't forget the infant toys.  I get
stuffed animals with rattles for the guys.  They love them!  Plus most are
made to be washed!  But the biggest hits around here have to be grocery
bags, the recylcing bin (plastic bottles) and my bookselves.

Maggie and the Mustelid Wrecking Crew