From:
Stan Siatkowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:06:02 -0600
Gromit is about 4 years old, neutered but not de-scented.  He's always been
a bit on the skittish side and has occasionally poofed, but recently he's
been doing it more often, and sometimes in his sleep.

He was in for his regular checkup and shots today.  I mentioned it to the
vet, and she discovered his scent glands were rather full.  She took him
into a vacant examination room to "express the glands" (thereby making that
room unusable for several hours and causing all sorts of commotion among
the dogs, cats and people in the waiting room, but that's another story).
The vet said the glands were quite large, about "1 1/2 pea sized", but no
signs of infection or anything else wrong.

All of our other ferrets are de-scented, so I don't know much about this.
Is this uncommon or unhealthy for the ferret?  Is there anything we can do
to keep the poofing down to a minimum (other than the de-scenting surgery)?