From:
"Caitlyn M. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 09:16:54 -0400
Hi, Tara,

Marshall Farms is the largest breeder of ferrets in the United States.
They are frequently disliked among ferret lovers for two main reasons: they
sell ferrets to labs for scientific experimentation, and they are a "mill",
as in large, and there have been concerns about what that means in terms of
how the ferrets are raised and cared for.  Many ferret owners I know do not
buy MF products, and Keith and I generally avoid them ourselves.

Between Keith and I we have eight fuzzies.  Five are from Marshall Farms,
the last three are not.  When we brought the last one to the vet for shots
I commented that he wasn't from MF, and our vet said "good!", with a lot of
feeling in his voice.  He *does* see more problems with MF ferrets,
particularly adrenal tumors, but nobody has any statistics to say that
Marshall's ferrets are any less healthy than any others.  I've never heard
of problems with ferrets not being spayed or neutered from Marshall Farms,
and your warranty would cover the costs if that was the case.

All of our Marshall Farms ferrets are joys, and none have had serious
health problems, but they are all quite young still.  Only time will tell
if they have more problems that the other three.  Honestly, I'd just love
your little one, and deal with things if and when they happen.

Take care,
Caity

Caitlyn M. Martin                  "They have computers... and may have
[log in to unmask]                           other weapons of mass
http://www.caitys-world.com               destruction"  -Janet Reno