From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2005 14:22:10 EDT
What is ADV?  Oh well, there are many educated owners here that can
give you detailed information and definitions.  I'll just break the ice
though.  To get your brain into the mindset of what ADV is, think AIDS.
Yah.  Chronic, contagious, degenerative, affecting the whole body, organs
and organ systems, immunity, and wasting.  I suppose that's all a general
visualization.

If you go to my website down below and scroll down to the link Straight
Talk about ADV, then that has an easy to understand summary of what it
is.  It's very outdated and all the links are bad on that page, however.
But if you haven't much time, it's an okay run down to get you started.

I'm not sure how common or uncommon ADV is.  I tend to think it's both
hidden and not common (contradicting myself).  It's hidden because we
just don't know.  It can be invisible.  You can't know if it's in your
house unless you test or unless your ferret is in the long term, end
phases of the disease (and even then ..  most of the time, it's
misdiagnosed).  I really do feel like most ferret owners do not test.
For tons of reasons (and none of them good lol).

I'm not sure how contagious it is anymore.  It certainly seemed like just
molecules that can live on surfaces for up to two years can infect a
ferret.  I don't think that applies anymore.  I think it's one of those
things that is theoretically true, but not practical.  Others will know
more up to date info on how contagious it is here on the FML.  Do know,
that's contagious enough ... to be very careful.

How do you be careful?  First, test.  You can buy a 15 dollar home
test for your ferret online.  You just use their saliva.  It's fairly
accurate.  Test all your animals.  Get a baseline.  Now, some people
will way, test this or that often.  I suppose you cannot test too much,
especially since the ferret doesn't seem to mind.  But I realize that
it's unhealthy to live in fear, and we all can't afford to do a lot of
testing.  So take it at levels.  Just start ... with one testing.  No
pressure to do more, just start there.

If you are around other ferrets, places where ferrets frequent, etc, well
then test again later.  In between, use bleach on used cages, bleach in
the washing machine on use ferret items, bleach on used toys, and be very
careful of your clothing and the soles of your shoes.  Parvocides are
great if you can get that.  If you take your ferrets out to pet stores,
or to visit other ferrets, really be careful and take precautions

You don't have to live in a bubble.  But you don't need to live
recklessly either.  You don't have to spend a lot of money.  But you
don't have to spend absolutely nothing either.

What can you do?  You did a lot just by asking.  Reading replies will be
great.  Looking up websites, better.  Testing wonderful.  Precautions
necessary.  How's that?  The more you can handle the better, but don't
live in fear.  Don't obsess.  Don't put yourself into a tizzy.  And don't
go broke.  Most of all .... don't kill the fun in owning your ferrets!

Wolfy
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com