Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:43:12 -0700
And now we return to our originally scheduled programming (the post I
was working on prior to the lengthy breeder account I just wrote)

One more question on that topic if you don't mind.  A question for
Dawn- Would you mind telling me the name of the MD rescue that turned
these ferrets & kits to you?  To my knowledge, we are the only MD
rescue that was working with this breeder and I know you didn't get
them from us.

I want to commend Kat for a wonderful post.  Homes ARE the first priority
in rescue.  Get the babies out the door into permanent homes.  In the
meantime however there is a variety of support needs, one no more
important than the other.  Education is a long term goal..it's not
realistic to expect it will happen immediately.  Funding and volunteering
are imperative to even keep the rescue doors open.

I consider our rescue extremely fortunate for the volunteers we have and
want to share how it works for us.  Everyone on our board of directors
volunteers 1 day a week.  We still have a few days to fill in because
some folks don't live close by.  Generally, I pick up those days or
someone else will double up.  If someone has something to do that
day/night, they switch with another person.  We have events like rescue
appreciation night where everyone comes over and I cook dinner for
everyone.  We have taco night or whatever.  We celebrate ferrety things
that may seem silly to some folks,...and we genuinely enjoy each other's
company.  Just last weekend we had a birthday party for a litter of kits
we took in from a breeder to celebrate their 11 week birthday.  Cake,
balloons, food, the works...again, everyone pitched in to make it happen.
When funds are low or non existent, everyone pitches in for supplies and
food so no ferret goes withoutwhat they need.  A $170 vet bill can either
put us in the hole or be taken care of when split between 8 people.
These are things that work for us.  Again I am extremely thankful for
this very special group of people.  Without them, the rescue would not
be happening anymore .  After 4 years, I just couldn't do it by myself
anymore.  With the 1st anniversary of the organization coming together,
we have probably been able to help more ferrets this year alone than I
did alone in the two,..... maybe even three years prior.

That said, who wants to watch the brood when I go on vacation?  Guys?...
Hey?........................where'd everybody go?................. COME
BACK HERE YOU COWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Heee heee...

And one more note...then I'm done..  promise....thanks to sooooooo many
wonderful supportive folks that sent responses on the breeder situation,
and if anyone can hook me up with a discount on a Ryder Truck Rental and
some fertilizer, I think we can solve this breeder dilemma...thanks to
the brainstorm of one of my more twisted friends... LOL.  I love you
girl!  I needed that laugh!

and please if you have an extra $1 or so, please purchase an afghan
raffle ticket or make a donation.  Our bank account is very close to red.

  *^*^*^ STOP BREEDING EVERY LIVING THING*^*^*^

Kimberly Fox
Director/Rescue Mom
Somethin Up My Sleeve Ferret Rescue
http://companiontalk.terrabox.com/SUMS-Rescue.html