From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2008 10:54:08 -0400
Doing this the quick and dirty way because my eye is not up to being
on line for more than 5 minutes at a time post-surgically.

Lucy Gwin has an apartment in the George Washington Hotel in
Washington, PA with the copy of her own lease apparently containin no
"no pets" clause.

Since an accident she is handicapped and has seizures. Luckily her
ferrets warn her of the seizures. This is a great help for her health
and has been noted in writiing by her physician.

Her landlord, the hotel, allowed her to make a large number of
improvements on her own dime to the property so that others with
handicaps can access her home.

Now that same landlord says that her ferrets have to go. She not only
loves her ferrets but she needs them because of their seizure warnings.

A judge actually sided with the landlord!

Info:
http://kdka.com/pets/Ferrets.2.686478.html
Segments of much larger article:

>WASHINGTON, Pa. (KDKA) A Washington County judge is allowing a landlord
>to evict a woman with a seizure disorder ... What Lucy Gwin is
>contending about her ferrets is not that strange when considering that
>in November of 2000 the FAA ruled that a 300- pound potbellied pig was
>a service animal and could fly first-class from Philadelphia to Seattle
>with its disabled owner. ... But Lucy says she can avoid seizures if
>she takes medication before the onset. Her ferrets are part of her
>seizure warning system. ... Lucy's four ferrets, Odo, Idi, Rootie, and
>Tootie let her know when a seizure is coming. ... "They come ramming at
>my legs like thumpty-thump."
>
>If she ignores that "alert" she'll have a seizure. Her doctor even
>vouches for the ferrets warning abilities in a letter. ... judge
>ordered Lucy's eviction from her apartment in the George Washington
>Hotel because of the landlord's "no pets" policy.
>
>"I don't feel we had a hearing at all," she said.  "We were just a
>couple of minutes into it and he just exploded."
>
>Looking through Lucy's copy of the lease KDKA's Mary Robb Jackson
>could not find a "no pets" clause. ... His copy of the lease does show
>a "no pets" rule. But what is a pet and what is a service animal?

So, the lease that she signed does not show a no-pets clause but the
landlord's sample copy of the lease does.

I wonder if the landlord can present a copy with the clause that she
has signed? Even if they weren't service animals that would make it
fraud.

More from the article:
>Do they not have training papers?" DeVerse asked. "Produce them."
>
>Actually, the Americans with Disabilities Act defines a service animal
>as any guide dog, signal dog, or any other animal trained to provide
>assistance to an individual with a disability. Some, but not all, are
>licensed or certified and have identification papers. ... She paid
>$43,000 to make her apartment accessible for her friends when she
>moved in last October. ... Hotel officials did tell Gwin that she can
>stay, but the ferrets must go. Lucy says she can't live or work
>without them. ((c) MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Heck, people have documented already that a range of animals can pick
up when seizures are going to occur and give warnings.

Another ferret who does this for a human (Knew I'd read of at least one
more):

http://www.extremeweezils.com/ewfriends.html

http://www.extremeweezils.com/ewfriends.html#cerino

Here is a cat who provides that service:

http://www.petaddictsanonymous.com/

I've read of a rabbit who has done so in the past but not finding that
now.

Seizure alert dogs mentioned in this site:
http://www.yourvet.com.au/pdf/2007-09.pdf

Info on the hotel:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07189/800172-37.stm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08017/849734-34.stm

>George Washington Hotel in downtown Washington, Pa.
http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv8440.php

I was not able to find out who the judge was.

BE POLITE BUT BE FIRM.
LOCAL? THE HOTEL PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW THAT THEY ARE LOSING POTENTIAL
CUSTOMERS AND REPUTATION OVER THIS HORRID BEHAVIOR. LET THE OWNER KNOW
THAT IT AFFECTS YOUR CHOICES AND ALSO HOW IT AFFECTS HOW YOU VIEW HIS
OTHER COMPANIES. LET THE HOTEL KNOW THAT IT WILL KEEP YOU AWAY FROM
THEIR RESTAURANT AS WELL AND WILL NOT HAVE GUESTS OR CLIENTS STAY WITH
THEM, NOR WILL YOU HAVE EVENTS THERE.

NOT LOCAL? LET THEM KNOW HOW DISTANTLY AND WIDELY THE INFORMATION ABOUT
THEIR HIGHLY DISTURBING FAILURE TO TREATED A DISABLED WOMAN AND HER
SERVICE FERRETS IS KNOWN IN THE NATION AND THE WORLD NOW.

http://www.thegeorgewashington.com/
60 South Main Street, Washington, PA 15301
tel 724-225-1605
fax 724-225-5623
Colleen T. Chorney, events director

Owner's other businesses:
http://www.kpbuilders.com/

4200 Steubenville Pike, Pittsburgh, PA 15205
tel 412-9221-4381
fax same on website

Another address listed elsewhere:
KP Builders Inc
Headquarters Address:
1079 E. Windhaven Rd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15205 USA
same phone as above
fax: 412-921-7650
KP Builders, Inc. was formed in 1989 by Kyrk Pyros

Okay, I can't get into the details for the docket site below. Can
anyone? KP Builders ALSO comes up in a Housing Accomodations court
case between 1/104 and now at http://dockets.justia.com/

Listings differ from news article:
Allegheny Crane Rental 3820 Arizona Dr, Allison Park, PA (412) 486-7700
Allegheny Crane Rental 4779 Josephine Dr Gibsonia, PA 15044

<http://www.truckdriver.com/trucking-company-directory/ShowDOTCo.cfm?CENSUS_NUM=572326&PHY_NATN=US&PHY_ST=PA

tel 412-486-7700
fax 412-486-8446

There are other websites, of course.

Hopefully, these owner and manager are not as bad as they seem to me
right now while I am so disgusted and outraged. If so, they will listen
to reason. Please, politely reason with them.

Please, feel free to share the above information.