From:
Moxie and Nexus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:56:48 -0500
As most of you know, Mira is FACT's mascot who had the radiation
treatments for skin cancer.  She was doing so well and then went off her
food.  Vanessa got that problem resolved and then Mira's leg started to
grow; the cancer had returned.  She couldn't get an appointment at Tufts,
so she had the shelter vet, Dr. Barrios, examine her.  He was unsure if
he could remove the tumor and find enough skin to seal the hole.  He
was able to remove the tumor, but we are not sure if all the cancer was
removed or how soon it may return.  I spoke to Dr. Barrios yesterday
and he advised to amputate the leg, but FACT is reluctant to do that.
Vanessa say's Mira's spirits are so high and she was feeling so good
before the surgery.  We know all of you will keep Mira in your prayers
and thoughts

On a funny note, I took my big sissy hob Nexus to the vet yesterday for
his shot, and as soon as I got him out of the carrier he started shaking.
He was scared.  Dr. Barrios was also scared of Nexus and really didn't
want to handle him, so I had to help hold him and make sure he didn't
bite the good doc.  Nexus gets spooked so easily.  If we're outside
walking and he hears something, he will run to the front door and jump
up on the door to go in.

--
Moxie and Nexus the moose, missing Chance