From:
"DeBout,Sandy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 19:34:29 PDT

It is really nice to see you are planning ahead.

Being part of a club offers alot of possibilities for ferret sitters.
Several of our club members have exchanges ferret sitting services.  I also
offer this service but I am afraid I am a little far away.  There are other
officers of our club that offer this service in their home and one will go
to your home if you prefer.  All of these people are very ferret
knowledgable which is a really big concern for us ferret owners.

Please keep in mind the most Animal hospital's also board.  I doubt they get
much or any play time out fo the cage but they are usually in a "safe"
enviorment.  If you do find someone other than an Animal hospital, I would
recommend that you provide the sitter with proof of rabies and distemper
shots.  It is also helpful to do a write-up on each ferret so that after you
leave, the sitter can tell them apart and I recommend a basic fact sheet on
each.  The fact sheet I use is an index card with the ferret's name, color,
sex, date of shots, last vet check , age and any other information I think
would help identify that feret from the others.  A really nice touch that
one of our club members did was to add a photo the card so you could easily
tell one from the other.  I usually staple the shot certificate and any
other information to the back of the card.  In addition, you should provide
the name, address and phone number of your vet and written permission to
have your ferret (s) treated in the event of an emergency.  You should also
contact your vet and give instructions that you have given permission to
have your ferret treated and you will pay any cost associated with this.

You may give the sitter your schedule but what happens if they can not
contact you.  I feel it is always better to safe than sorry.  I would say if
you are not sure if the sitter would know what to do, it is best to use an
animal hospital that is experienced with ferrets.

All of the above is just my opinion but if anyone can add to the list of
things you should provide to a sitter or take into consideration, I would
love to see it.  I too am trying to protect myself and assure that the
ferret will get the best possible attention if the event of an emergency.

Sandy