From:
Melissa Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:35:31 -0800
Animal city in Vernon, CT has three ferrets in what appears to be a 15
gallon fish/reptile tank with one of the metal lids w/holes bungee corded
to the tank.  On top of this tank is yet another tank (approx 10 gallons)
containing a hedgehog.  There was a bowl approx the size of what one
would use for a small guinea pig filled with crumbs of pellet food and
wood chips.  The same wood chips that make up their bedding.  They were
kept in the back room stacked amongst other animals like so many crates
of dry goods.

I spoke to the manager, being as polite as humanly possible.  He then
proceeded to berate me and become smart mouthed and defensive, attempting
to make me look like a knowledgeless individual.  He also claimed to know
what he was doing because he'd been doing this 'for years' and that the
bad conditions were alright because they would only be in the tank for
a week.  That, does not make the situation alright, in my opinion.