From:
Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 21:19:01 -0700
>They have also both got names now.  While the vet was examining the boy
>David noticed he had a fang that kindof hung out over his bottom lip but
>on examination we found his other fang had the tip broke off!!!!  No
>biggie, but when David mentioned it I said, "That's it!  His name is
>FANG, and so it is".

     You just named your ferret after mine ... :)  Fang welcomes another
Fang into this world, since he's gettin' old and won't have long to hang
around this earth.  He's kinda flattered that his legacy will live on...
     Actually, the story of Fang is rather interesting.  A few years ago,
a friend of mine had his ferret pass away, very quickly with no warning.  He
was heartbroken and didn't think he would get another.  All fine and well.
Then one day, when he came home from work, there was a big intact sable male
in his cage!!  Needless to say, he was astounded.  There was also a note on
the table that read "we found your ferret wandering around in the hallway.
He must have gotten out when you left for work.  We had to borrow some cat
food from the neighbor across the hall because we couldn't find any in your
apartment.  Your landlords".   :)  My friend posted signs in the building
and neighborhood, ran an ad in the newspaper, but no one ever claimed him.
He called him Fang because he chomped him on the face right when he picked
him up.
     (Do you think the God of ferrets was trying to tell him something?
I thought so too, but a little while ago he decided he no longer wanted
ferrets and gave them all - including Fang - to me.  I see a conspiracy
happening here...)
     By the way, I have two sables here who desperately need a home.
They are real sweet but hate other ferret (although they *love* each other)
If anyone in the Vancouver B.C. or Washington area wants em.... please let
me know :)

>Will roach eating harm her?
>Will roach eating become a habit?

     Gawd.  My ferret BooBoo used to have a *thing* for slugs.  I was so
disgusted that I dismantled the outdoor cage and brought him indoors.
Forever. But it never seemed to harm him...you know his outdoor pen stood
two feet off the ground and the slugs could smell(?) the catfood from the
ground and climbed up to get it.....

>I just read Fran Schreiber's message about Hagen leashes and harnesses.
>While I like the design of them, I had a very bad experience with one
>of their harnesses.

     The other thing you have to watch for is the piece of plastic in the
middle of the buckle-snap (the more recent ones do not have this piece)
because if it's not aligned absolutely perfect, it gets stuck and we
couldn't get it apart without a knife (when it was off of the ferret of
course!).  I reccomend cutting this plastic piece out, as the harness still
works as great as ever, it's just a lot harder to get stuck.

>I would appreciate some comments on this habit Renegade has.  He will be
>playing, dancing  & generally dooking then all of a sudden stop to do a
>quick chew on his rump / hind end or tail.

     That's pretty common, my ferrets do it all the time.  We call it a
"me-bite" around here and I'm not sure *why* they do it, but they do it
alot.  Have you ever noticed Renegade leap out of what appears to be a deep
sleep and scratch himself furiously for a bit in several places, then go and
get a drink of water or a bite to eat?  As long as you check carefully for
parasites and fleas and find none, I wouldn't worry.  All six of mine are
prone to this odd behaviour too....
------
Joop *relearning how to use a litterbox*
BooBoo *too old and past caring about using a litterbox*
the ancient Fang *too lazy to climb into the litterbox*
Ashley *too delicate to use a litterbox where other ferret pee*
Chloe and Shadow *get us outta here and we _promise_ to use a litterbox*