From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 22:49:58 -0400
I'm not a vet, and I don't have much experience with herbal medicines, but i
must admit that a little slippery elm has done some good with my ulcer
patients.

If you have ever tasted Linatone, you know ferrets have no compatable tastes
with humans (otherwise, why are they crazy about dirty socks and sneaker
insoles?).

I always try the Amoxi and Pepto mixture with Ensure/Sustacal as the first
line of attack on grinding teeth and upset tummies.  If I don't get any
positive results after a week, I start adding slippery elm to the mixture.
It has never hurt and usually things get better.  Now, this could be just
because some ulcers take longer to counteract than others, or it could be
the bark powder.  the fact that everyone feels better is what counts, and
that is the desired result.

As has been pointed out to me - since herbal "drugs" are not regulated, you
don't know what other "chemicals" have been added (by accident or on
purpose).  So only get your natures helpers at reliable sources and err on
the side of caution.

Most importantly - DON'T TREAT YOUR PET WITHOUT THE GUIDANCE OF A VET!  A
person who doctors himself has a fool for a patient.  That goes for your
pets too.

Pam Grant (who is really fortunate to have several vets who allow me to call
and bug them at home when that foolish owner comes to my house with an
injured ferret because the vets are closed...)