From:
Ellen Van Landingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 14:20:40 -0700
Caryl,

>Can anyone give me any suggestions on making shelves for this cage?  It is
>approximately four feet high and three feet wide.

Easily done with a half-sheet of plywood, a roll of inexpensive
astroturf-like material, a stapler, screw eyes and s-hooks.

Cut the plywood 1" or so narrower than the inside depth (front to back) of
the condo and a few inches less than half the length of the cage.
[IMPORTANT: make a cardboard template first to be sure that the shelf can be
maneuvered through the largest cage door and be prepared to adjust shelf
dimensions accordingly, or resign yourself to removing the cage bottom to
install the shelves!] Cover shelves with astroturf (wrap ends so the staples
are under the shelf), install a screw eye near each corner, and hang with
s-hooks.  We've staggered the shelves all the way up our condo on alternate
sides, like this:

             ------------
             |          |
             |      ----|
             |          |
             |----      |
             |          |
             |      ----|
             |----      |
             |          |
             |          |

These are relatively easy to remove or rearrange, the astroturf cleans up
with soap and water, the fuzzies enjoy the abundant floor space and get
lots of exercise going up and down the "stairs".

When ours were kits and occasionally missed the litter box, we made an
extra shelf.  If one gets really yucky we swap in the spare, clean the
dirty one with a nylon scrub brush, and leave it outside in the sun to
air out for at least a week before using it again.

Be creative and have fun -- your fuzzies will love you for it!

ellen & the Gang of Three