From:
Scott Hackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 11:18:51 -0500

We ALWAYS put our ferrets in harnesses when we take them out.  It takes a
couple tries to find the right tightness.  I assume you have a two buckle
harness.  The key is to get it tight enough under the elbows.  The neck
buckle is a little less important, so it should go about as tight as your
ferret's collar normally is.  But if the body buckle has enough slack and
your ferret can get its elbows through, it's all over.  Make that one
tight, but loose enough so that he can still breathe, of course.  As for
them getting accustomed to it, ours took to it pretty quickly, but the
beginning was a little hard.  The best thing to do is to let them run
around with just the harness and no leash.  They'll do something that
looks like breakdancing, which is good... that's how they learn  that
they're just not getting out of it.  When your ferret gets used to
wearing it put the leash on.  Start slow and let it explore.  The more
you take it out, the more you should try and lead.
Eventually it will learn to follow you.

Good Luck!

Scott Hackett