From:
sheena staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 21:25:05 -0800
I was in the video store yesterday with a little female rescue (so cute, so
sweet...spent the first year of her life in an itty bitty aquarium and still
she refuses to bite.  Any ideas on how I can convince my SO that we need
another ferret??).  Anyway, the clerk jumped back about 3 feet and said
"Wow!!  A ferret!!  He pet her tentatively and then told me that ferrets are
illegal where he's from, which is South Africa.  He said they banned them
because they were causing problems ...  such as eating chickens and what
have you.  But the rescue lay like a wet dishrag in my arms and I believe he
has changed his opinion of ferrets quite a bit.  I had no idea they were
illegal in South Africa.

There is a LOS sanctioned show in Seattle in August - I believe it's been
comfirmed.  The FFCR is planning on attenting, but I - being extremely
determined to prove to everyone I have beautiful ferrets :) - want to bring
a few fuzzies to the show.  However, the creepy ECE that everyone seems to
have over in the US is not even a little bit of a problem in Canada.  I'll
be drummed out of my ferret club if I bring it back, so how do people
protect themselves at shows?  My ferrets are exceptionally healthy and I'm
sure they would be able to live with themselves if they got ECE, but I
really don't want to be responsible for giving it to everyone I know (I
already did that with a Campylobactor problem a while back.  My ferrets
didn;t even show a single symptom, but everyone they went near caught it).
So, how do you keep it from getting your fuzzies and how do you not bring it
home?  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sheena
Ferrets & Friends Club & Rescue E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
"dedicated to the preservation of the domestic ferret as a
 household pet", a no-kill, not-for-profit ferret facility.
For more information about the FFCR try our homepage:
< http://www.geopages.com/Colosseum/1575 >