From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 21:05:52 -0500
>ShocknIn <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help Need advice for malnourished ferret

Your vet is wise to keep your new friend away from the others for all
concerned.  A quarantine period is probably best as this will insure both
proper remedial attention and that no parasites or contagion are present.
Even though your present brood may appear healthy, they may also have some
less symptomatic infections that would normally be of little threat but may
be more problematic to a ferret with a compromised immune system such as
your rescue may have.  So you may just want to make sure the rest of your
brood is ok too.

Your vet will probably want to institute immediate care procedures on your
new fuzz including subcut. fluids, vit. shots, etc. and do the usual CBC,
culture, and urinalysis, all of which would not be unwise.

When you do finally get the lucky fellow home, restrict his area to a "safe"
zone until he feels more comfortable.  You can certainly let him roam
around, but keep it limited to avoid undue duress.  Once he's used to all
the smells and noises your home normally provides, then you can let him
stretch his legs more.

Introduction is very important, especially for a weakened animal.  I would
wait until some signs of recovery are obvious and his vigor appears normal.
However, still let him have his safe space to return to until this
acclimation is complete, which may take 2-3 weeks.  I hope some of this
helps you and your very lucky new friend.  I'm sure others on this forum
will offer some great perspectives, concerns, and ideas.  Good luck :-)

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi