From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 17:46:06 -0600
Answers to the adrenal question are starting to trickle in...please keep
them coming!  More data = more knowledge = more power in decisions!

Q: "My vet says my ferret has spondalosing deformits.  What is this and what
can I do about it.  She says nothing can be done."

A: If nothing can be done then I'm the one to do it.

The problem is called Spondylosis Deformans, which is quite common in older
mammals, especially dogs, cattle and raccoons.  I've noticed it in skeletons
more than 2000 years old, and in a wide variety of species.  It is usually
associated with ageing or hard, heavy work.  Sometimes it is called
Ankylosing Spondylosis, especially in the archaeological literature or when
the reason for the changes are unknown.

Anything with the prefix "Spondyl(o)-" refers to a vertebrae or the spinal
column.  Spondylosis refers to degenerative changes in the spinal/vertebral
column.  (Don't say spine because that is something you get stuck with if
you grab a catfish wrong).  Essentiallly, deformans refers to a deformity.
Together, they mean the spinal column is degenerated and deformed, and has
started to fuse (ankylose) together to form a single non-mobile bone.  The
effect is similar to having parts of your back or neck fused.  The changes
take place within the ligaments that hold the two vertebrae together; they
slowly turn to bone fusing the "vertebra-disk-vertebra" joint into a single
immobile bone.  Often, the disk will also turn to bone.

Usually the ankylosing occurs in the lower part of the back (the lumbar
vertebrae).  I have seen the sacral portion of the pelvis completely fused
to 4 of the lower lumbars in several raccoons, but more commonly I've seen
several lumbars fused together in cows, deer, coyotes, domestic dogs, house
cats, and people.  It is not uncommon to see it occur in the cervical (or
neck) vertebrae as well.  It is one of the more common bone pathologies you
run into, and similar fusion can also occur in hand and foot joints
(especially in bears, bobcats and canines), but then it is not called
spondylosis anymore.

Foster, my 12-year-old monster ferret, suffers from ankylosing joint
changes, and it is especially bad in the lumbar region.  He has an arthritis
in all leg joints, and sometimes he walks sideways because of the joint
immobility.  He has responded well to steroid therapy, but although the
therapy reduces inflamation, it does not restore the bones to their former
non-fused state.  Rebuilding the spine is dangerous and impractical and
perhaps impossible.  The vet is correct; nothing can be done to reverse the
disease.

What I've done to help Foster is primarily the steroid treatment, but I also
place a reptile heating pad into the bottom of a box and cover it with
several towels.  The temperature is about 75-80 F, and Foster loves it!!  I
give him a warm water (100 F) rub-down a couple of times a week, which he
also loves even though he dumps into the water, if you get my meaning.  I am
also his guardian angel and prevent the other ferrets from dominating him
too much.  Last, I hold him a lot and rub his backend.

I've considered using pain killers, but have not found much literature
offering safe dosage levels.  I have been told Tylenol is deadly, but have
not seen it in print.  I've thought of extrapolating baby human asprin doses
down to Foster's 2.5 lb body, but am still searching for ferret-asprin
literature.  A friend crushes baby aspirin and mixes it into nutrical for
their hobbly ferret, and it hasn't died yet.  I've also tried more holistic
remedies, but I think--at least with Foster--the benefits are more for me
than him.

You didn't say how old the ferret was, but I suspect it must be older than 4
or 5 years.  Just chalk it up to old age; you couldn't have prevented it,
and all you can do is be sweet to the little furbutt.

Bob C and the 20 MO Ferthunds