From:
Lawrence Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 14:28:29 -0500
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!  I've been reading the posts about children and ferrets
and thought I would jump in with my story.  We have a 3 year old daughter,
5 ferrets, 3 cats and 2 dogs.  When I was pregnant, MANY people
"encouraged" me to "get rid of those animals".  At that time, we also had a
rescue ferret that had been abused and was a PAST biter.  She continued
to play rough but never "attacked".  People told me all sorts of horror
stories about babies and animals and ferrets specifically.  NONE of these
people had ever owned a ferret!  I was told that the dogs would give her
worms (all the way from the dog lot?), the cats would either steal her
breath or suffocate her (do people still believe such things?) and of
course, everybody knows ferrets will suck out babies eyeballs, rip off
their ears and eat their lips, etc.  I'm happy to report that Rachel does
not have worms, is still breathing and has all her body parts! :0)  Did we
lay Rachel on the floor and leave the room?  No.  Common sense.  There
seems to be a serious lack of good 'ol common sense these days.  Rachel has
been taught respect for her animal companions.  Some we taught and some the
animals taught.  She knows how to pick up, hold, carry and release the
ferrets.  They think she is great!  When she was crawling, they would
follow her around.  She was a great treat dispenser!  Cherrios and other
goodies would be stuck to her and fall off.  Rachel pushes them in her doll
stroller, pulls them in her pull toys, has been known to put them in the
swing (they love it!) and carries them around like babies.  She also drags
them on a towel or blanket.  We came home from an out of town Christmas
visit and I found her sitting on a pillow holding Andy wrapped in a baby
blanket and singing to him.  He was relaxed and happy.  Freddie will sleep
with her if he gets a chance and always puts HER stuffed toys under her
bed. :)  My ferrets, cats and dogs have never done any "serious" damage.
She has been nipped and scratched but that is part of the learning process.
We do a bit of rescue, and Rachel has been exposed to various ferret
personalities.  Very few, two to be exact, have been kept away from her.
Even then, she had contact UNDER SUPERVISION.  My point?  Common sense.
Know you child.  Know your animals.  Animals are animals and react the way
God created them to.

Tequita-happy mom of human and furry children.
Andy-Cozy blanket and warm child.  Ahhh!
Freddie-Just a swingin'.
PeeWee-Whoopie!  I love this ride!
Cindy II-Hey!  It's my turn in the ducky pull!
Gidget-(recent rescue)-won't somebody love me?