From:
Karen Daigneault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 1997 10:19:03 -0700
Here's a copy of the letter I faxed to Gov. Engler today.....

Dear Governor Engler,

As I am sure you have received many faxes/letters regarding Kodo, the ferret
currently involved in the case of the "kill and test" policy, I feel
compelled to write and request your intervention (if the judge decides
against him) in respect to granting a stay of execution until his attorney
can appeal the judge's decision.

As you are aware, Kodo's case has brought national attention from all over
the world.  Although I live in Virginia, I would like to believe that the
government, on a whole, as well as individual state and state elected
officials represent the body of it's people and acts for the people, and in
this case takes into account all aspects of the evidence.

The facts remain that these is immeasurable question as to whether or not
Kodo actually bit the person involved, (even the "victim" states that he
does not know whether an actual "bite" occurred and does not hold the state
or the owner's responsible.  It has now been over 3 weeks since this
incident occurred, and Kodo is showing no signs of rabies since his
quarantine, and remains perfectly healthy.

As well as with the other many facts pertaining to this case in Kodo's
favor, and in view of the fact that I own ferrets and other animals, I would
have to say that if Kodo is put to death, this is a prime example of what
the State of Michigan represents, and personally would have no desire to
visit, vacation or even have one good word to say about it.

Thank you in advance for your consideration and good judgment.

Sincerely,

Karen R. Daigneault