From:
Rascal's Mom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:40:37 -0600
Last fall we were given a sweet, loving, seven year old sable female named
Suzy.  When she began to vomit after eating, the vet gave her antibiotics.
When that didn't work, I insisted that they X-ray Suzy to check for an
obstruction.  What they found was a condition called megasophagus in which
the ferrets esophagus loses its ability to move food along.

While this condition is not correctable, there are things you can do to
make life easier for yor ferret.  There are meds which help stimulate their
esophagus.  It is also helpful to raise their food and water dishes to let
gravity help.  I believe I have another paper wih some other suggestions if
tis is what Taz has.

Suzy lived for more than five months after her diagnosis.  She was happy
and active right up to the end.  There did come a point when nothing we
could do would help.  She could not keep any food down and became very thin
and weak and in the end we had to help her over the Rainbow Bridge.  I
would not trade those last five months for anything.

Hopefully, Taz's problem is something easier to correct.  Please feel free
to e-mail me if it turns out to be megasophagus and I will share with you
what we learned from Suzy.

Rascal's Mom, Rascal, Dickens, Calamity Jane, and the new babies-Booker
and Angelca