From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:07:48 -0400
Pat wrote:

>More expensive products, bigger quantities. They are also all about
>their recombinant vaccines, which again cost more $$$. They have
>stopped production on Purevax ferret before because it was not a
>"big seller" and Lyme vax was once the patent of another company ran
>out. So I somehow cannot foresee them continuing a cheaper vaccine
>when they have their Purevax to make lots of $$$ on.

It really has been quite a problem getting them to allow long enough
runs of the Purevax because it shared a production line with some other
vaccines that had higher demand.

BTW, our own recent titer numbers for 4 of 6 ferrets who had Galaxy
remained at strong levels 2 and 1/2 years after vaccination, but the
individuals varied greatly. Two were done later than the others but
here is how the first 4 turned out:

Their titer levels wound up very individualized.

By age:
Hilbert (6 years) 192
Whizbang (turning 6 years, soon to have a birthday) 384
Morney (5 years) 768
Hubble (4 years) 32

Telemna later turned out to have the exact same number as Morney as I
recall. I could go look it up but badly lack time.

BTW, Hubble is perfectly healthy and in his prime; his only problem is
that he has a garbage belly so a person has to be careful when he gets
out of his room because if there is any dropped human food or if any
soap is available he will eat himself into the trots.

I suspect that the profit ratio is what will determine if Galaxy
continues. Even if it costs less the product might make as much profit
or perhaps even make more profit if it is cheaper to produce, assuming
that the marketing costs are equal and there are not steep licensing
fees on top. Price is far less important than Price Minus Costs of
production and marketing. Profit is the key. Does anyone have access
to those numbers for each of the two vaccines?

Recommended:
http://www.ferret.org/news/07-april-titer_study.html
PLEASE, make sure that the info sheet goes to Dr. Ruth. Cornell tends
to not forward those to her and that data is NEEDED. Also be absolutely
sure that the info for the last vaccine given is there because without
that the numbers are worthless.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/