From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 19:38:39 -0500
FscottG wrote:
<snips>
>... people pop up with various excuses for why that is not a viable option.
>Often times the excuse is cost.  The other excuse concerns ... not properly
>socialized and ... special care.  Why is a mass rescue from a small breeder
>any more justified than a rescue of retired MF breeder stock?

A very good point and I agree.  But I feel that the adopting of MF retired
breeders will never work.  MF is way too greedy.  For them to do anything
they would need to make some sort of profit!  I adopted out my retired
breeders - but hardly charge a dime!  I feel the work & kits they have
produced for me is the profit.  They worked real hard for us and deserve to
be in a loving home having a pet life.  All ferrets deserve that.

I have come across ferrets that have been physically & mentally abused with
serious socializing problems.  I am talking mean, visious biting.  I am
talking hunt you down to bite you.  Now those ferrets will do nothing but
kiss you.  I do think there is hope for every ferret - no matter what its
situation, but I do not think people are going to be able to deal with all
the socializing work those MF breeders are going to need.  People just don't
want to work at it.  That is why ferrets end up in shelters.

Just a thought . . .