From:
Lisa Carswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:49:24 -0500
First off, I want to say a huge "hurrah" for Stinky's being on her feet, for
Bandit coming through surgery so well, and for the progress that Puck and
Newone are making!  It seems as if I've cried so many times lately reading
of people who've lost their ferrets; it's always a day-brightener to get
some good news.

Now for responses to other topics:
>When I recently loss my other ferret .  I first considered adoption.  I
>came across this site on the net for adopting a ferret but I was shocked at
>the extreemly personal guestions I had to respond to even be considered!
>Questions regarding income, marital status, type of work , hours , type of
>dwelling ,how many children ect, ect, ect!!!  I guess this is insure a
>secure home for the ferret???  I don't even give close friends this type of
>info, so why should it be released to stranges who happen to run a ferret
>adoption agency or a shelter?  Insane!!

Michelle, you answered your own question when you said it was to insure a
good home for the ferret.  I really can't say that I consider the things you
listed as that personal...after all, -my- close friends know all that stuff,
and it's about what you might expect to find on an employment application,
lease application, child adoption form, etc.  And if you consider the fact
that some of these shelter ferrets are coming from traumatic backgrounds
already, it makes even more sense that the caregivers at the shelter want
to make sure that they're not sending a ferret from the frying pan into the
fire, so to speak.

>I read the note in yesterdays listing, I beleive, from someone willing to
>take any ferrets that you might want to give up.  I don't know this person
>and maybe everything is OK about it, but ... Am I paranoid?

This question reinforces my feelings on the shelter question...I -have-
heard of people who collect unwanted animals (or steal people's pets) to
sell to animal researchers.  I've only heard of this activity in connection
with dogs and cats, but as we all know, ferrets are used in research, too.
This isn't to say that that was what the person who posted wanted them
for...but as I say, it just reinforces the fact that I'd advise anyone who
has to find homes for ferrets to be absolutely sure that they know where the
ferrets are going to.

Fuzzy regards,

Lisa

Mom of Zorro, Claudia, and Loki

"It's no harder to be nice than it is to be creepy. And it's much more fun."

                --Death of the Endless

                in Neil Gaiman's

                <italic>Death: the High Cost of Living</italic>