Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:48:32 EST
There are some amazing vets out there. But not many around here know
what they are doing when it comes to ferrets. Some have been honest,
and through a ferret knowledgeable sanctuary, an honorable vet has
been most helpful and willing to learn. She actually says now..."Do
you want to get your people on the phone while I am here?"

I could share what seems unbelievable stories of experiences with
several vets that pretended they were ferret savvy, but knew next to
nothing about them. Really bizarre stuff. My ferrets came very close
to death in their hands.

I know of one that was a miracle to ferrets. But he went into business
on his own. And I think he has lost his moral compass.

I drive on major expressways...which I am scared to do...over 2 hours
non rush hour each way...to a vet that I trust now for the important
things such as surgeries. My vet team here that has worked with cats
and dogs for years cannot even get an X-ray of a ferret. It is almost
jet black. Nothing can be differentiated. I was billed. I paid the
bill. I was told the ferret was not in pain and would be fine. They
meant well.

I drove for hours to have a proper X-ray took. The animal was making
painful noises at the group of vets near me. He had cancer. It was not
operable. We put him to sleep that day.

The group of vets near me meant well. But they really do not know
about much besides cats and dogs. That is a real and common problem
around here.

So sometimes even a second opinion will not be one that will help the
ferret. I have lived with that hard cold fact for years. I do the best
I can do. That is all I can do.