From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 23:29:33 -0400
Condolences to those with lost, sick or angeled "Brother's Keepers"...

(Hey everybuddy...Smokey is sick.  Let's go visit and make him feel
better!)

Scarlet mumbled something about:
>they all came right over to my injured leg as if to say 'what happened,
>mom?'

When my Smokey got really sick, all of his cagemates slept around and
over him, keeping him warm.  When he was just about gone, I had him
propped up with a pillow on the couch, so I could feed him and pet him
and keep him warm in a towel.

As the evening wore on, each ferret, one at a time, came up on the couch
and very gently sniffed him and nuzzled him a bit, then quietly left.  I
swear it was almost like a living funeral line.

When I found him the next morning, he had been gone for a while, as he
was already stiff.  Yet, all of his cagemates had kept him warm through
the night, as he was still warm when I checked on him to see how he was.

Now that Stuffy is also starting to fade, the others seem to be much more
careful with him, playing only softly and making sure not to bite or
scratch him.  When he is in his cage with Hershey, Hershey will often
sleep on top of him to help him keep warm.

Also, when I feel sad after losing a fuzzy, the rest seem to spend a lot
more time crawling around on me, or following me from room to room and
keeping an eye on me.

Believe me--they know.

Todd and the (Psychic, or psychotic? :)) Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns

---
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.netconex.com/toddl/page2/