Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:39:40 -0400
I'm somewhat stunned this morning to read a message on the FML from
Joanne at Support Our Shelters (SOS) stating that University of Georgia
will no longer be doing any ADV research.  it is especially disappointing
coming after Danee's vision of an ADV vaccine in 4 years, and the efforts
at International Ferret Congress (IFC) Ferret Aid to raise money (at
least $1500 as far as I know) for ADV research.

I am, as I am sure many other ferret owners are, very grateful to all
that Ms Pennick, Dr Stevenson, and other members at Georgia have done to
advance knowledge of ADV.  I wish Ms Pennick all the best in her future.

I am also somewhat reluctant to know that any money I had donated
specifically towards ADV will go towards anything other than ADV.
for Support our Shelters, Joanne mentioned 3 options as to donations
ear marked for ADV:

    1. return it back to you
    2. Shred it
    3. Send it forward for skunk research

I'm hoping that a fourth option is possible: let it accumulate and grant
it to vets or research groups that are working on a vaccine for ADV.
(side question - is the skunk research for ADV in skunks?)

don't get me wrong, I have nothing against skunks and would love to have
a companion skunk one day.  it is that there are two kinds of donations
to me: the present and the future.

a donation to the present is a donation to a ferret shelter - you know
it will help a ferret gets its surgery, a shelter to give food to its
charges, it will have an immediate and very gratifying result.

a donation to the future is something like donating to conservation, to
black footed ferrets recovery, to ADV - you hope that it will save
endangered plants and animals, that the black footed ferret will run
free on the prairies in sustainable colonies, that ferret owners will
no longer be afraid of taking their ferrets to social gatherings because
of the risk of contracting ADV.  it is a hope, and you won't know the
outcome for many years, if ever.

how many people reading this donate to the present?  how many donate to
the future?  I suspect the former out weights the later.  its much easier
to satisfy immediate needs than to plan for future ones.  so I'm hoping
that any money directed towards ADV research for ferrets, will still go
towards ADV research for ferrets, for a future of ADV free ferrets.

Ferret Aid Society is cancelling their annual frolic because of a very
real fear of ADV spreading in Ontario.

if SOS, IFC, or a representative at the University of Georgia can provide
information on where research for an ADV vaccine may happen, that would
be much appreciated.  I understand there are a couple of vet practices
that also researches on ADV.  does anyone have any information?  finally,
can someone from IFC let us know where the money raised for ADV research
will go to?

Selina, Clef, Popcorn, Sorin & Mochi

ps I've copied this message to Ms Pennick at Georgia, hence expansion
of all the well know acronyms!