From:
Ted &Tanya Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 00:52:51 +0000
I haven't posted much over the past couple of years, or followed the FML as
much as I used to, but I used to read everything dilligently whilst I still
had my fuzzies with me.  Three years ago, we moved to Norway and I took my
two ferrets, Orville and Rajah to live in South Africa with my parents
rather than put them through six months quarantine here in Norway.  They
managed the move from the cold east coast of Canada to the warmth and
sunshine of my parents home very well and thrived.  There aren't too many
ferrets in South Africa.  Indeed our vet had only heard of two others
living as pets, and they died shortly after arriving in the country.  I
have been back to South Africa several times over the past three years to
see my beautiful fuzzies and enjoy their company.  I think they enjoyed
mine too.

But this last time back ended in sadness.  Orville suddenly lost weight and
wouldn't respond to antibiotics or syringe feeding.  Xrays showed nothing.
We opted to do exploratory surgery, expecting to find a blockage, but
instead our vet found Orville's liver to be riddled with tumours.  There
was nothing we could do but to help him through what was left of his days
and let him be as comfy as possible.  That was what we thought.  Orville
didn't awaken from the anaesthetic.

My Orville is gone.  He was a beautiful lap ferret.  My cuddly boy.  He
could bounce and chuckle with the best of them.  I will never forget him.

Orville was a rescue ferret.  I know nothing of his breeding.  He had a
stubby little face.  Not the long slender face that is more typical of
ferrets.  He only lived to 51/2.  I thought I still had a few more years at
least.  We are moving later this year and I was going to get them back to
take them with us so we'd be a family again.

I hoped it was just that deep ferret sleep.  But I knew it wasn't.

Orville you were well loved and are sorely missed.

with my love,
Tanya