From:
Tim Kindblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 1996 11:57:25 -0800
Kim Black asked how to call a deaf ferret.  I would like to point out the
fact that he may have one sense (hearing) missing but he still has four
other senses (sight, touch, taste, and smell) remaining.  Use those to
communicate with him.  How do I know?  I am Deaf.  We get other peoples'
attention by thumping on floor or table, flashing a light, arm waving, etc.
I have noticed that hearing people overemphasis the importance of hearing
over all other senses, they don't think there can be any substitute.  We do
very well without sound, thank you very much.

Anyway, I would suggest you teach your Valentine to respond when you thump
the floor with your foot twice in rapid succession, and reward him with a
treat (ferretone or raisins) when he comes to you.  Another way to get his
attention would be to use a flashlight.  There was a Deaf Dalmatain that
came when a flashlight was flashed at his eyes.  Unfortuntantly Dalmatain
breeders say that deafness is an undesired trait and are killing off deaf
puppies...

We are owned by two ferrets, Wesley and Dweezle.  We got them from the
Oregon Ferret Shelter in Oregon City.  Wesley's first home was with a man
who had to give him up due to a terminal illness.  Dweezle was found running
around in a parking lot.  They are now happy with us, two adults, four
children, a cat that barely tolerates ferrets.

I have been following the FML since January and this is the first time that
I felt I could contribute something that I know something about from my
personal experience.

Tim.