From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2012 10:41:19 -0400
I've found that when traveling with ferrets they are more relaxed in
wire cages (instead of vari-kennels). I use a cage large enough to
hold a hammock, litter box, bedding, food and water containers. If you
drive a van or suv there will be room for multiple level cages like the
Superpet my first home multi level cage and you can include multiple
hammocks. I drive a small car and only have room for smaller cages that
are longer and not as wide or as tall but still room for a hammock. I
prop the cage up on a bin so the ferrets can see out, and secure the
bottom area wedged in so it won't bounce around. I take along a ferret
playpen and blanket to let them out to stretch their legs on food
breaks. I lay the blanket over a grass area and the pen on top. The
blanket protects them in case of chemicals on the grass. I only go
through drive-throughs and never leave the ferrets alone in the
vehicle. Temperature control is important as in some larger vehicles
the cool ac air might not reach the back area so whenever possible keep
the ferrets closer to the front of the vehicle. Don't let sunlight
shine through windows onto the cage, that can heat up quickly. Be
prepared for a bit of a mess of food and water. Putting down newspaper
or potty pads or even a towell in the bottom of the cage will help.

The key is making them as comfortable and safe as possible.

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org