From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 13:26:44 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Megan Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet Question:  Cushings Disease
>I'm posting this for some additional advice for my vet and I.  Monster was
>at the Vet's wednesday (Nov 20/96) with the following symptoms:
>- hair loss on the tail
>- black spots on the skin of the tail (possibly blackheads
>- redistribution of weight into the abdomen

Yes, this could be hyperadrenocorticism.  Cushing s disease is an
inappropriate term for this since it s symptoms are different from those in
people or dogs.  In the States, it is termed adrenal disease.  Sources of
information include the FAQ section (look under adrenal disease) and a
variety of American Veterinary texts such as Clinics of North America -
small animal - January 1994.  The secondary changes in the skin can cause
the itch.  Testing usually needs to be ferret specific and in the States we
use the University of Tennessee s ferret adrenal panel.  Testing for
cortisol (which is done in dog Cushing disease) is not diagnostic!
Treatment is the surgical removal of the affected adrenal or use of mitotane
(generic name).  If you vet wants to e-mail me, please feel free.

In reference to food allergy, I suspect you are asking in regards to the
skin itch.  Food allergies probably do occur in ferrets but we have very
little information on that.  Aim for the possible adrenal disease first.
You may need to study you diet choices.  You want to aim for a protein level
of 25 - 30% that is from meat sources.  Too much Iams cat may be a problem
since the protein is vegetable based.  The blackheads on the tail can be
treated with a benzoyl peroxide cream.

>From:    Julie Roy/NAPERSOFT <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: adrenal stuff
>One of my fuzzies, Benny, has adrenal gland disease.  My vet, who I must
>say is the best vet I have ...

Mitotane is the generic name for Lysodren.  Check out the FAQ for details.
Many of the ferrets with bilateral adrenal disease are on Lysodren.  It
works great for some, doesn t work for others.  Most veterinarians opt for
surgery because 1) 85-90% of ferrets can be cured, 2) no need for lifelong
medication, 3) do not need to worry about side effects (some ferrets devlop
nausea or profound hypoglycemia).

>From:    Ferret1 <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vets Need Information
>I took Cassie to the vet because she had been just laying around like a
>speed bump a little too much and was getting rather thin when everyone was
>plumping out and getting fluffy.  My vet did some lab work and an x-ray

Although ferrets can develop liver disease, it is very, very uncommon.
BAsed on probablities, I would look for something else.  Secondly, you would
not notice most adrenal disease on an x-ray.  Only very large tumor would be
visible and then you should be able to palpate it.  The blood work does not
point in any particular direction.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA