From:
Heidi Lepak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 10:28:33 -0300
It must be love to go through all this.  Most of you know I am moving
from Puerto Rico to Tampa, Florida.  This is not easy, but traveling
with ferrets makes it even more difficult.  But it can be done.

First, because ferrets are considered to be illegal exotics on this island,
it was necessary to get "permiso" to have them, since PR decided to give
amnesty about a year ago.  Then I had to get export permission, which was
limited to a period of one month.  Trying to coordinate all this brought
on many hours of stress to say the least.

Next the flight.  The only airlines that handles ferrets in the cabin is
Delta.  Other handle ferrets in cargo, but my babies would not be happy
there, nor would I.  In addition to this, there is a ban on shipping
animals in cargo after June 1st, due to the temperature.  Therefore I must
fly from San Juan to Atlanta and then change for Tampa.  What a trip that
will be!

So I spoke to Delta the other day regarding availability on flights and
they said everything was open and I would have no problem with the 2
ferrets in one kennel that fits under the seat.  After all they weigh only
5 pounds together.  Not knowing my exact house closing date, I said I would
contact them at a later date.

The later date, turned out to be the next day.  When I called this time I
was told that there was a total pet embargo ( no pets allowed) after June
1st.  The sweat started running down my body.  I told the person to please
check with his supervisor as I had just spoken to them yesterday.  After
being on hold for about 10 minutes, he returned stated that yes, one
person, one pet was allowed.  BUT I HAD TWO FERRETS!  I explained the
situation and the size of my babies and that they went in one kennel.
Still stating that this was the "new" policy he again put me on hold for
another 20 minutes searching the answer.

During this time I was trying to think of all the alternatives.  Did I just
fly up for the closing and return later with the babies.  Did I have to
take two flights and leave on ferret in the care off a shelter while I was
gone.  Oh what to do?

When He returned he say that yes I was correct and I cold take the two in
one kennel on the flight.  I think I almost kissed him though the phone.  I
immediately drove to the airport, paid for my ticket and made sure that it
stated that I was taking both my babies on the flight and we were booked
all the way to Tampa.

It is hard enough to move, and with pets even more difficult and with
ferrets almost impossible.  But it can be done.  And so on June 15th my
babies and I will leave the island of Puerto Rico to begin our new life In
Florida.  They will be in one kennel on the way to the airport, which I am
sure they will mess in, clean out that kennel and transfer them to their
cabin kennel, and ship[ the first one as excess baggage so that on arrival
in Tampa there will be a clean kennel to again put them in.  This will be a
very stressful trip to them and I hope and pray that all goes well.

Sorry this post is so long, but thought it might help other who must move
with their babies, IT CAN BE DONE!

New Page added on Lupron Therapy
www.geocities.com/huronna/Lupron.html

We survived the Petsburgh Critique
www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/3133
http://communities.msn.com/Ferret
ICQ# 33966544
Defending those who cannot defend themselves!
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/2303