From:
Amy Robbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:32:35 -0500
Geez Angie, too bad your company hasn't "evolved" with the rest of the
world.  More and more companies are recognizing the work-life balance
thing.  I used to be in a similar position to you and would "hide" my
ferret at work.

I now work for a company which values there employees enough to make
exceptions.  I had an elderly ferret slowly walking toward the bridge, he
came to work with me every day for a month so I could hand feed him.  I
know my manager wasn't thrilled but valued me enough to realize that it's
better me be here with a ferret than not at all.  I understand that I am
very lucky to be in this position, however it is that kind of flexibility
that has kept me a loyal employee for the last five years.

One of my stances on this issue was that if employees were allowed to
bring in their children on occasion, my ferrets are much less disruptive.
Lets keep our fingers crossed that more organizations begin to recognize
the value of accepting their employees responsibilities.

Amy Robbin
Human Resources
SeaChange International, Inc.
Phone:  (978) 897-0100