From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 20:45:54 EST
>Now if someone could put my mind at ease as to how a 1.5 - 3 lb ferret
>can handle 1 mg of melatonin when the adult human dose is 3 mg, it would
>make me feel a lot better about such a "whopping dose"

Although I'm not a vet maybe I can shed some light on this.  As it was
explained to me, the "normal" human dose of 3 mg of Melatonin is meant
to help regulate sleep patterns, such as recovering from jet lag.

Larger doses inhibit the production (I believe) of certain hormones in
the body, which is what you want to do with a ferret whose adrenal glands
are producing excessive sex hormones.  The 1 mg/kg dose of Melatonin
accomplishes this fairly effectively from what I've seen in our ferret
who have been on it.

Dick B.
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter
For a downloadable copy of my "Ferret Owner's Manual," visit
http://4lilpaws.org