From:
Lisa Silverstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2013 04:08:10 -0800
To all,

My very first baby with insulinoma was given the oral, she would gag,
sling, it bothered her belly so she wouldn't eat well, it was upsetting
for both her and I, so it made her stressed on top of it all. She only
survived for about 5 months with that situation and she was only 5 yrs
old, but the seizures were every day! Then, when I learned of the
transdermal, I used it for 4 other kids with insulinoma and every one
of them did so well it was amazing! Very good appetites, no seizures,
no problems whatsoever, and they all survived for a year or more on the
transdermal way and were much older! My albino was on transdermal for
1 and a half years and finally lost the battle at almost 8 yrs old, it
works so much better! Plus, being in the medical field, I am extremely
concerned with the aspiration into the lungs, because with how tiny
these kids are, it is beyond easy for that to happen!! This is where
you absolutely MUST ask the pharmacy to show you the proper dosage, of
course is of utmost importance. They should be concentrated so much
that it should be in 1cc syringes, which is a total of 10 doses at
0.01cc. Your dosage should be 0.005cc rubbed on inner ear twice per
day, just on the skin of the big part of the ear, not deep into the
ear, be sure to alternate ears, left one in a.m and right one in p.m.
for example. You can wear a finger cot (like a rubber glove, but for
one finger) they should give them to you with the meds. 0.005cc is
a very small amount, so when you depress the plunger, you will do
it very very slowly and gently. Ask the pharmacy to show you which
markings are 0.05cc, it is going to be halfway between each 0.1cc mark.
Insist that they show you, it is very important that dosage is correct.
You will just rub this cream on the inside of the ear and it will just
slowly absorb through the skin Be sure to gently wash the inner ear
about once every 2 or 3 days to wash off the build up.

Many medications can be compounded into a transdermal med, some cannot,
be sure to inquire. I have a little secret. Request that your vet call
in the 1 month prescription as a cc amount of 2 months worth, most vets
will do this

Lisa Silverstein
Silver Lining Ferret Sanctuary

You can't change the world by saving one animal, but for that one
animal, you change it's world.