From:
Tom & Shelley Courter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 14:15:43 -0500
My nine month old (MacKenzie) has a problem.  Her back left leg doesn't
always want to do what she tells it to do if you get my drift... What it
does is when she extends it during normal play or even walking, it
hyper-extends, when she straightens it out taking a step, it straightens
all the way out, and stays that way, which usually causes her to fall over,
which breaks my heart.  About 6 weeks ago she was at my vet and he x-rayed
it and said he could find nothing wrong structurally, but that doesn't mean
(he said) that there was nothing wrong with the ligaments and/or muscles.
He also said that he had never seen this in a ferret and that she may very
well grow out of it.  Well, in the six weeks since we had her there, it has
gotten progressively worse.  It is not causing her pain, but it gets in her
way.  The thing that bothers me the very most about it is that when she is
walking up the metal ramp in her cage and it does that, he leg sometimes
gets stuck in between the metal rungs.  If she were to run up it when it
was to do this, she could break her leg!  I am trying to find anyone and
everyone who can advise me on this because my vet (who is the best in my
ared) said he'd never seen it before.  Please, if you can help me, or tell
me what I should do, let me know.... at this point I am open to any and all
suggestions... Thank you so much.

Shelley