From:
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:55:10 -0500
In our last cruelty case against Robert Jarmain, letters to the SPCA
*AND*
the Criminal Court went over VERY well and I believe helped push the case
into a conviction.  PLEASE e-mail letters and fax to the following.  I've
included a form letter if you do not wish to write your own.  We welcome
and encourage letters from all over the world.

Letters can be sent to Inspector Fry and Chief Inspector Draper at
[log in to unmask] please cc
[log in to unmask] Fax: 519-426-3393

Dear Inspectors Draper and Fry,

I applaud you for taking the Paris, Ontario ferret rescue case seriously
and I fully support charges going forth.

The owner of the ferrets may have died, but during the time he was ill
and after his death, it was his wife that was responsible for the care of
the animals.  The photos of the dead ferrets that were partially eaten
were not decayed enough to be dead for longer than a month (the time
where the wife was responsible for the ferrets) and to me, this clearly
shows neglect on her part.

Ferrets have not been known to cannibalize their dead and I have never
heard of this happening before.  Those ferrets must have been under
extreme distress in order to eat their dead.  In a loving household,
ferrets bond very strongly and have been known to go through horrible
times of depression when their cage-mate dies.  I can not imagine the
emotional distress these ferrets must have been under in order to eat
their dead to survive.

If the wife had been providing adequate care for these ferrets, they
would not have eaten their dead to survive.  While I fully understand
there was a death in her family, this DOES NOT excuse the neglect of an
animal.  She could have called upon the SPCA or Ferret Aid Society for
help at any time.  Instead, she chose to hold on to the animals and sell
them at a later date.

While I also understand this woman will no longer be breeding ferrets,
she MUST be held accountable for the neglect and distress she made the
ferrets endure during the month she was responsible for them.

Once again, I applaud you for taking this a step further and support this
case going all the way.

(PLEASE provide your full name and address)

Randy Melanie Belair
President
The Ferret Aid Society "For the Love of our Fuzzy Friends"
<http://www.ferretaid.org/>