From:
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 20:56:49 -0700
>From:    Rob Adlers <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: FA- Arrested and charged?
>Dr. Killian, do you have anything on paper to offer here that would
>counteract this BS?

Dr. Killian????  He was my grandfather, a St. Louis veterinarian.

From what I've learned so far it sounds like no judge has decided much of
anything.  The plaintiff's lawyer can say pretty much anything - like it or
not it is his job to advocate as strongly as possible his client's case.
But the outrageous claims will be rather easy to disprove in court.  Been
there, did that, done that, bought the T-shirt.  We can fully understand and
sympathize with what Pat Wright is going through.  It probably will cost
several thousand dollars.  We ought to try to get some of the ferret groups
involved in helping supply legal aide.  Maybe even Marshall since this case
could definitely work for the benefit of ferrets if the defense is well
done.  We'll personally talk to the AFA and NAFA.  LIFE is represented
on-line here so they are aware of the situation.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: angora ferrets

Having become VERY familiar with angora ferrets this weekend I can comment
with more "authority" (we had a good time too Lars & Nadine)

>He also said, that they are a lot nippier, than the others.

Angoras are not nippeir than shorter haired ferrets.  Swedish and English
ferrets seem to have a MUCH higher energy level which would show as more
playful ferrets.  The angoras (like our new resident) are now at the most
playful stage.  Unfortunately they choose to play the way they play with
other ferrets - play fighting.  MF seperates out the ferrets to sell young
enough that they don't socialize with ferrets so much more than they
socialize with people.  This leads to the more docile nature.  As always
decide what is right for yourselves and choose the ferrets that meet your
needs.

I was the one who stated that European ferrets are smaller than American -
but I was referring to whole animals and late alters.  The Swedish that you
saw grew fast and were altered later than Marshall alters theirs which
accounts for the Europeans being larger than the Marshall ferrets.  Did you
notice that even non-angora Swedes (from Quality Ferrets) often have medium
length hair?  They were a bit more than three months - born in June if I
remember correctly.

You mentioned allergies, my wife and I were talking about this.  She is
allergic to long haired cats ut can handle short haired.  She has no
problems with ferrets with long or short hair.

Earlier in response to another question some months ago I guess, I talked
about the noses of the Swedish angora ferrets.  Now that I've seen more I'd
like to amend that.  The breder in Sweden seems to go for a slightly
different head shape than has become popular here in the US.  They look
longer and thinner with a more prominent nose.  All of the ferrets have that
shape.  Some Texan ferrets we recently took in also had a longer nose than
has become familiar here in the East.  The only difference I can see between
the angora and non-angora ferrets is hair.  The rarity of them since despite
all claims to the contrary they only come from Scandinavia is the reason for
the cost.  Same reason you often have to pay more for a dark eyed white or a
nice panda.  We really like the look of the angoras.  Not more than the more
familiar short haired though.  Just different.

>From:    Tanya Peters <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Parvo booster

Most authorities on ferrets agree with your book that ferrets don't need
parvo shots.

>From:    Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Mo' Bonehead Bob
>Bone is a food.

Well flame us along with Bob.  Our ferrets (well most of them) do bones as
well.  We share our Thanksgiving turkey with them.  We, the two legged
"greedy" ones, get the meat.  They get the bones with some meat still
attached - we aren't that greedy.  They get other bones at varous times as
well.  We often buy fresh meat specifically for the ferrets.  When feeling
generous we toss them a pork steak witha bone.  Free ring toy once they're
done...

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/