From:
William Gair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 02:11:30 -0700
You know I'm so tired of hearing how we have to Marshall's job.  Does
Marshall check out their distributors before sending our beloved kits to
them?  Really it doesn't look like they do.

I think what we need to push and advocate is purchasing from reputable
breeders.  This is what the rest of the pet market has done.  I breed
Golden Retrievers, Ragdoll Cats and Ferrets.  Do you think my kids are
going to be altered to early?  Removed from mom to early?  Shipped to a
petstore?  I don't think so!!!  My babies are clean, healthy, socialized,
and tame, ready to go to an appropriate home.  That is what it is all
about.

Yes they cost more.  And they should.  They are not Farm raised"  They
are family members.  Do I have a Marshall Ferret?  Yes I do......a rescue
named Ethel that I wouldn't part with for a million dollars.  She is sweet
and loving and docile, and SMALL as she was altered at 6 weeks as are all
Marshall Ferrets.

Almost 100% of the ferrets up for adoption or those in deplorable
conditions at petstores seem to be from Marshall.  Why?  I'll tell you
why.  Nobody is interviewing the potential buyer.  Or if they are it is
purely a formality.  "Hobbyist" (good breeders) are quite different.
They will quiz you to the max.  Not just because they want the fuzzbutt
to be happy they also want you to be happy.

I don't mean to be a zealot but I have seen this before.  Any animal
"breed" that becomes extremely popular degenerates.  It is up to the
"clubs" to counteract this.  Ferrets are the third most popular domestic
pet.  You have to start now or we will all pay for it later.  Especially
our beloved little carpet sharks.

Bill