From:
Shelly Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 08:13:18 -0500
Hi everyone,

I must thank all of you that have replied about Riki's adrenal surgery.  I
have never felt such an outpouring of love from a group of people I've never
met !  As I was pondering this whole money thing, I came up with an idea
that I'd like to bounce off of you.  I am an Avon Rep and a Watkins Rep.
and both companies do fundraisers.

I was tossing about the idea of doing "fuzzy rescue fundraisers" that would
benefit others like myself that can't afford the lifesaving surgeries and
would also benefit shelters, etc.... The great thing about Avon and Watkins
is that both companies offer things that everyone uses and must purchase
someplace... why not for the fuzzies and instead of just "donating" money,
you are getting high quality products.

I believe that we can do alot of good and I'm willing to give a larger
percentage than normal on the earnings : Avon at 25% (normal earnings are
15% -20%) and Watkins depends on the order total, but I can estimate it to
be between 15% and 25% , the higher the sales, the higher the earnings !

I am willing to take on this venture by paying for the catalogs, postage to
mail them Or perhaps, sending out an e-mail catalog... and organizing it....
however, I'd rather we appoint someone to be the trustee of the money...
(perhaps Bill ??) and that there be a small group of people that committee
where this money goes.... perhaps creating a list of fuzzies that need help
and placing the high priority ones at the top .... This money can be used
for surgeries, shelter help, transportation for fuzzies in need, food, etc.

I'd like your feedback on this idea... good and bad....

Thanks !
Shelly

PS: for those of you that aren't familiar with Avon or Watkins, here is a
list of the types of products available - it's stuff we are buying
anyway.....

Avon: cosmetics, fragrance, skin care, toys, gift items, CD's, videos,
stuffed animals, jewelry, books, computer software, holiday items,
Aromatherapy, Bath & Body care, suncare, Skin-So-Soft, Anew, calendars,
nutritional supplements, hair care, deodorants and more

Watkins: spices (famous cinnamon and pepper !), extracts (famous vanilla),
baking needs, dip mixes, seasoning blends, soup & gravy bases, dessert
mixes, cookbooks, mustards, spreads and jams, BBQ sauces, hot sauces, steak
sauce, oriental flavorings, mexican seasonings and products, pizza crust
mix, coffees, teas, cocoas, beverage concetrates, bagel spreads, fruit dips,
skin care, hair care, toothpaste, mouthwash, salves (famous Petro-Carbo,
Menthol Camphor, like Vicks), bath & body products, Aloe Vera products,
nutritional supplements, ointments, liniments, analgesic balm, cough syrups,
stomach relief (like Peptol Bismol), Tonic, candles, room freshener sprays,
household cleaners (almost all are earth friendly and not harmful to
children or pets), cat & dog products, insect control, organic dishwasher
detergent, laundry products, stain removers and more !

ALL products are 100% guaranteed.

[Moderator's note: One of many fund-raising ideas that have appeared on
the FML over the years.  I'm not against the ideas, but they are ratherq
difficult to implement at times.  Perhaps some of the fundraising pros
will comment.  BIG]