From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 13:26:23 -0800
>Lindsay McGinnis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Subject: My poor sick baby : (
>She's really weak, can't walk, or barely hold up her head : ( : ( Does
>anyone out there know what could be wrong?????  I need some advice quick!

She needs supportive care!!  **YOU** will have to get her to eat and drink,
if only by using an infant dropper and making a 'mush' type food for her.
Visit these web sites for more info on ECE and how to make Duck Soup for
your little one.  www.acmeferret.com/voice/d96_ece.htm
www.acmeferret.com/infobank/

Ferrets must eat every few hours, if your girl has gone for two days without
food, she is in grave danger.  I suggest feeding her every two hours until
she regains some strength.  It has been my personal experience, and results
from questioning others, that those ferrets who die from ECE are those
older, or with underlying health problems, or ANY FERRET NOT GETTING
IMMEDIATE AND PROPER SUPPORTIVE CARE!!!  Use Pedialyte in the water bottle
to help replace electrolytes that she has lost.  (Mine prefer Natural Fruit
Flavor :>)

Email me if I can be of further help.

[log in to unmask] wrote:

>Also the pet shop gave me the wrong food.  Should I go get the food that he
>was raised on or should I wait and see if he'll eat what I have?  He's only
>about 3 or 4 months old so I figure that he didn't know better.

The best food, based upon my experience with 100's of ferrets of all ages,
in good health, and with new rescues in poor health, is Totally Ferret made
by Performance Foods Inc.  Email me personally if you need their phone
number to find a distributor.  Second choice is Iams Kitten Food.  Forget
the so-called 'ferret foods' offered at most pet stores as they do not
supply adequate nutrition, in my opinion.

Diet, foods, and nutrition was covered in detail on this list only a few
months ago.  You may want to check the FML Archives.

Email me if you have further questions.

Kisses to the fuzzies.

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter