From:
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:15:37 -0700
I had written once before about this thread but chose not to send my note.
I probably should have.  I owe Mary and Eric an article or two by now...

>From:    Barbara Ludt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: The MODERN FERRET Fray
>This photo was obviously used for entertainment value only

All of Pink Noses is photots for entertainment purposes.  If you don't
like the lobster photo, that is your opinion.  Obviously not shared by all
because it was taken and it was published.  That is an opinion issue not
a factual issue.

>I faxed MF the same day Issue #21 arrived and advised them in a very
>brief note that I was appalled with certain of the contents of Issue #21
>and wished to cancel my subscription effective immediately.

What recourse did you give them?  You had already done the ultimate you
could do.  You didn't say that you were not happy.  You didn't that you
didn't approve and would cancel if they did it again.  You terminated the
susbscription completely.  You left no room for negotiation.  No room for
Mary and Eric to decide that what you really wanted was for them to add
disclaimers.  I am proud of them that they didn't give what you seem to
have wanted - for them to beg for you to come back.  You ended your
subscription - that ended your leverage on them.

I see pictures that consist of dogs and cats together all the time but we
all know that dogs chase cats and can kill cats if they catch them.  I am
glad they don't all have dire warning thats dogs have been known to kill
cats.

>However, I was told that my concerns about rabbits and ferrets was just
>my opinion and that he can't go around putting disclaimers on everything
>other people think is inappropriate in their magazine.

I do not think every photo of everything that we do not like should be
captioned with a disclaimer.  I've been taken to task for this very issue
on this mail list.  It doesn't fly for me, nor for Modern Ferret.  If I
were to pick up a magazine that had so many disclaimers I would not buy
it.  I do not need to be babied.  I do not need to have every little thing
explained to me.  This just means you and I have different opinions on what
we'd like to read which is fine.  But they are just opinions.  Not absolute
errors as you seem to want to describe them.

[speaking of Mr. Marrone]
>but then, again, he sells ferrets, rabbits and other animals for a living.

And what is wrong with raising animals for a living?  Breeders of animals
are usually those that know the very most about those animals.  Yes
normally MORE than shelter/rescue operators that have not also been
involved in the breeding of animals.  Some shelter folk whine too much.
Its politically correct around here to say shelters are always right and
always wonderful.  But not always is that true.

>To those of you relatively new to ferrets, the above was written by Faro
>M. Shimbo, one of THE leading experts in ferrets and their behaviors.

In the opinion of some.  Others of us think Mary Shefferman likely knows as
much or more.  There are quite a few problems I have with the Shimbo books
but like them anyway.  They are out of date because they were written so
long ago.  I also see your note as mostly telling us how bad a rabbit is as
a pet.

>Mary's FML post re MF being perfectly willing to take readers suggestions
>Unfortunately, hat has not been my experience with MODERN FERRET.

You are not pointing out a factual error in Modern Ferret.  You are
pointing out something you personally do not like.  You like extraneaous
warnings.  Some of us do not.

>once California F&G gets their hands on Issue #21 and uses the Bo & Lola
>photo to once again, prove their case against our beloved ferrets

That doesn't make sense to me.  A photo showing a ferret NOT killing a
rabbit is hardly going to convince anyone in California that ferrets
should remain illegal.

>Thomas R. Willard, Ph.D.  [...] It's more than likely those funds were
>used to help promote and/or save ferrets because that's what all those
>folks do.

Tom Willard is a good friend of mine.  But he doesn't "promote and/or save"
ferrets anymore than does Modern Ferret.  Tom is a businessman.  Seems to
be giving it a good go as well.  His writing as article is more for getting
his product known than any attempt to help ferrets - and there is nothing
at all wrong with that.  He needs to feed his family and is choosing to do
so through Performance Foods.  I help him do that by using (and
recommending) his product.

>If Eric and Mary are truly what so many of you believe them to be, when
>all the dust settles from this current discussion , I m still hoping that
>MODERN FERRET will somehow be encouraged to accept constructive criticism
>when warranted

I would say that yes Mary and Eric have shown that they are willing to
take constructive criticism.  Your writings here are not constructive
criticisms.  Cancelling your subscription is not constructive criticism -
but rather destructive as it ends the relationship abruptly with no
recourse.

>do what they can to resolve the problem professionally

As you stated the problem, the ONLY professional resolution that was
possible for Modern Ferret was to cancel your subscription as requested.
They have shown a degree of professionalism in this long thread.  I would
not describe your very long post as "professional".

-bill