From:
Kim Reyes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 19:23:48 EDT
This is the first time I'm writing, I've been hiding in the shadows of the
FML for a while.

First of all to all those that have sick fuzzies and those who's fuzzies
have crossed over my heart and prayers are with you.

I saw a Spanish link posted on the FML and can't to use it.  Would someone
kindly resend it to me.  My husband cannot read English, so I was hoping
to get him connected with some Spanish speaking folks to talk about his
"boys".

Our 2 fuzzies are "Frankie the Ferret" who is a sweet dispositioned 1 1/2
year old Marshall Farms baby that was sitting in PETCO for several months
and was about 6 months old when he adopted us.  He looks like he's a sable
with a raccoon mask and cute pink nose.  He was a wild child having spent
his first 6 months in captivity.  When I let him out to play he was so
beside himself!  He is only in his cage to sleep now, I can't bear to see
him in "jail" with those sad eyes.  He is the love of our life, he knows
Spanish too, he kisses only when we say kiss in Spanish, "besito me amore".

Our 2nd boy "Poncho the Kamikaze", by the way Poncho is Spanish for Frank,
is about 6 months old and was also from PETCO but didn't have MF papers so
I assume he is from somewhere else.  We've had him for about 6 weeks and
he is downright crazy and totally fearless, so we watch him very closely.
He is also sable with a Zoro mask and half pink and brown nose.  His fur
is so soft.

We bought Poncho so Frank would have a ferret buddy to talk ferret nonsense
to.  They were gradually introduced and Frank gets extra attention so he
doesn't feel like "the little show off", that's what Frank tells me he is,
has taken over.

About PETCO, the Tigard, Oregon PETCO has taught me a great deal about
ferrets and they were instrumental in my initial education.  So there are
some good ones out there.  They were so sad when both Frankie and Poncho
got older and weren't sold.  By the way they sold Poncho once and the
people brought him back after a week and a half, they took him back no
questions asked.  So that tells me they care about the fuzzies.  They are
really good to their babies and hold them whenever they can.

They recommended CARE FRESH Pet Bedding, which I have to say is the best
at controlling the Pepe Le PU fumes that resonate from the cage area.  It
is really easy for daily clean ups because the stuff gets stuck to the
sanitized and lint free paper pulp product, looks like newsprint without
the newsprint.  I fill the bottom of the cage and add new on top of the
wire daily, no my guys aren't litter trained, impossible.  Another trick
is to keep the poop in the cage, I bent a sanitized and cleaned up license
plate in the corner, no more OOPs on the rug.

Also they turned me onto Natures Miracle for pet stain and odors.
Wonderful stuff and it doesn't turn your carpet into a mass of foam because
it has no soap, if soap comes up it was already in the carpet.  Another
handy thing I recommend to any pet owner is the Bissell hand held steam
cleaner, great for the quick OOPs cleanups.  Spray the Natures Miracle on
the spot let it sit while you spray the other spots, you know they come in
multiples, then fill the reservoir with hot hot tap water, spray the hot
water and slowly move the Bissell away from you over the spot.  The slower
you move and the more the hot water hits the better it works.  Repeat as
necessary until the little buggar is gone.  Then a regular Hoover Steam Vac
for totally carpet cleaning when the carpet looks like it has as many clean
spots as dirty ones.  Use the Hoover stuff it's the best and less foam.

I know I'm new to this list, but can I just comment on one thing?  (If you
knew me you would know it's coming anyway.) I have noticed the anger and
hostility that sometimes hits the FML and it really saddens me that all of
us who love all our animals, not just the fuzzies would turn on each other.
There are ways to make a point in a constructive and non aggressive manner,
it just takes a little more creative thought.

My impression of the purpose of this list is to educate, share and create
an environment where people are not afraid to ask for help or speak their
mind in a kind and humane way.  I have put off writing because I don't want
to get flamed and there are probably others out there too.  I would hate
to have to watch every word, as I felt I had to do when writing this post.
Is there anyway to make this a kinder, more gentle FML?  There is so much
anger, frustration and cruelty outside our doors can't we make this a safe
place for all?

BTW, flame me and you'll get it back, not from me, but what goes around
comes around.  It's the greatest comfort to me when dealing with cruel
and nasty stuff.

Kim's Zoo - Frankie the Ferret 1 1/2, Poncho the Kamikaze 1/2, Mitchy the
Witchy shitzu 10, Caesar the Sweetie shitzu 8,  Spunky the Not So Anymore
(tabby cat) 12, Cleo the Tiger (tortoise shell calico cat) 11, Butchy the
Blind (tuxedo cat) 10, Manny the Old Man (husband) 41 and Kim (vehita) no
I'm not telling my age.