From:
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 18:24:39 -0800
At 1:45 PM, today - Phoenix, the horrible, terrible, baby chewing ferret
that gives kisses and cuddles was released from Cleveland Animal Control
after he made it through the ten day quarintine.

I knew that the judge would be making the decision this morning, and
left a message for John Baird from Animal Control to call me at work, I
was going to ask again if I should be in court for whatever good I could
do.  When I had mentioned it before, he said no one wants to have this
ferret killed.

I sat at work as long as I could possibly stand.  At 1:35, I told them I
was leaving for lunch, and raced down to the kennel.

I got in and didn't recieve the usual Hi, and have the keys to the locks
on the cage tossed to me.  I thought , "Oh no, the judged didn''t like
ferrets".  The lady behind the desk went to the back, and out cam John, he
looked a little serious.  I must have sprouted 50 white hairs, then he
smiles and says, well no one said no, so I can release him to you.  You
should have seen how high I jumped - I was so thrilled, the first thing I
asked was - "Where is that copy of the contract for transfer of ownership?
Let me get it signed!".  By 1:45 it was signed, and I was running to the
back of the kennel to get Phoenix and take him home.

After I got home with him, I played with him for about an hour, he did a
weasel war dance!  And when I came home - there he is all attentive in the
cage waiting for me to get him and cuddle him.  right now he is snuggled up
holding on to my arm for dear life.

Thank you to everyone who called, wrote, sent emails, and said prayers.  We
all worked together, each one doing a seperate job and it worked a mirical.

Thanks to Beth ([log in to unmask])for sending out up dates and forwarding
messages.  Thanks to Linda Iroff for dealing with the media, and keeping a
cool head.  Also Thanks Rebecca D. (sorry forgot how to spell your name)
for digging in the legal area, getting the police report and such, and a
special one to Lisa Waltz the wonderful attornery who drew up the release
contract or transfer of ownership for me.

Thanks to everyone who worried about this little guy, this incident did a
few very important things, one - getting those childern out of a bad
situation, and two - tested the quarintine period, and also establishes
that ferrets - even biters can be released to people who have knowledge of
the animal (i am still learning) and common sense.

Well - time to go play again.  Thanks again to all.

Jean & The Zoo Crew - & Phoenix Ferrets Unlimited's Mascot