From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 03:08:52 -0600
Oops, sent the mail forgetting this part:

Regarding Maynard G.  Krebs.  1960s.  Dobie Gillis.  Character played by Bob
Denver (aka Gilligan).  Was a great show until they went into the army, and
Maynard kept the goatee.  Yup, there's gray in my ponytail.

Regarding New Zealand fitch: Well, they are domestic ferrets, pure and
simple, if they come from a fitch farm.  If they are wild caught, thats hard
to say.  Lots of domestic ferrets were released in the 1880s-1890s, but so
were European polecats, their hybrids, and lots of other predators.
Caroline King thinks that most of the wild fitch are domesticated ferrets,
and has printed such in at least two publications.  The government kept
records of what they released, but there were other groups (including lots
of sheep ranchers) who helped the process by bringing in "extra." I'm not
sure anyone has done a genetic study to see if the wild fitch are actually
polecats, ferrets, or hybrids, and until that is done, there will always be
some doubt.

King bases her argument on the fact that wild fitch, when caught, tame
readilly, and are quite "nice" to humans--a trait of domestication.
However, the same can be said of many mustelids, especially those raised
from infancy.  Skunks, river otters, wolverines, badgers, polecats, and
martens have all been described as great pets, so her criteria is not as
definative as it appears (although as anyone experienced with wild pets
know, most are somewhat unpredictable towards biting, and muscle tone and
hunting instincts are far superior.  I personally would trust the skunks
more than the rest).  In this matter you have to decide on your own; but my
guess is, if these are imported, that they are probably domesticated
ferrets.  It would be pretty hard to get wild polecats past the feds.

Regarding the introduction of old ferrets to new.  As most of you know, 3 of
my 13 ferrets came from Kansas City.  The two males (one 8-9, the other 6-7)
were extremely aggressive towards the others.  Unfortunately, Foster (8-9)
is fairly crippled up with arthritis in his hips and pelvis (common in
mustelids, BTW.  I have seen the evidence in 10,000 year-old skeletons) so I
have been reluctant to force the group together.  Lucky for me, I realized I
was wrong, and in a flash of inspiration realized the gain in companionship
would more than outweigh the loss in fighting.  It took two weeks of leaving
the old guys cage in the middle of the room, so all could come up and
mouth-bite at each other, then two days of rug-wrestling.  Once positions
are established, they pretty much settled down.  Now, all 13 run together.

I may get flamed for this, and this relates to the emotion issue, but what
WE might interpret as "fear of other ferrets" might well be submission.
With the exception of rutting males, its the rare animal that doesn't
respond to submission signs.  Its part of all animal behavior--just watch
your dog as it greets your daily return.  Ferrets are loud, they can draw
blood on the neck and shoulders, but it is part of their existence, and
attempts to prevent it will only increase its duration and intensity.  No
one likes to see a beloved pet get bit and yanked around, but they have
their own rules to live by, and we should respect them (I break up fights
that get too intense by offering ferretone, raisins or jerky.  Distraction
works much better than separating determined fighters with one track minds.)

This comment may also bring flames, but I think ferrets need ferret-friends
just as children need other children to play with.  I know pet store ferrets
are expensive, but lots of shelters have a surplus of animals that need
homes (I adopted 8 in one month, and could have a dozen more if I wanted
them).  There are days that I only see my ferts for a short time, and they
amuse themselves.  A singular ferret will become bored and sleep, or chew or
dug out of boredom.  Its not that they can't live happy and healthy lives
being an only child, but IMHO their lives are richer and more meaningful,
not to mention more interesting, when other ferrets are around.  Being an
only ferret is like going to a party and everyone catches the joke but you.
Or everone has a partner, and you have the chair in the corner by the
stereo.

Bob and the 13 Emotional Fuzzbuckets