From:
"Marlene B., Richmond Ferret Rescue" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 04:39:27 EDT
Gordon, I am sorry for your loss, but please tell me that "what any good
owner had to do" was not to end his suffering with a blow from a shovel.
If I'm wrong, I apologize.  If not, I would think that anyone who drives
a corvette could afford the cost of an veterinarian to humanely put that
poor ferret down.  You talk about your pain and suffering, but what about
Kodo's????

Part of loving and caring for your pets sometimes includes painful things
that might hurt us, but no comparison to the pain of your pet.  I know
that sometimes it's "borderline", whether to have the animal put down
or give it a few more days.  But you've had several ferrets who have
suffered long and hard before you "helped them over the bridge."  And
that sound you heard from Kodo's throat?  That was most likely fluid
built up in his chest where he was not only starving but drowning in his
own fluids.  This is what veterinarians are for- to care for and aid an
animal in distress.  How would you like to lay in your bed day after day,
aching and not being able to breathe, much less eat, and you keep seeing
your loved one peering at you saying " Oh you poor thing" but then your
beloved WALKS AWAY!

If you DO have doubts as to the quality of you pet's life, a veterinarian
can help give you options that are best for the pet.  We've all screwed
up at one time or another in the judgement call of an animal's quality of
life, and perhaps have let it go past a point where it shouldn't, but,
Gordon, you win the prize.

I'm not usually so harsh, but the idea of Kodo suffereing for days makes
me sick.

Marlene B.
RFRL
www. rfrfl.net

[Moderator's note: I was pretty suprised by the strong reactions people
had to Marlene's original post -- I took the post more as a reminder to
us that the euthanasia option exists if things get too bad.  Perhaps it
was poorly worded, but it didn't seem like an attack.

After reading this post, I think I have to change my opinion somewhat.

For the record, the decision to euthanize is a very personal decision
and the owner of a ferret is usually the one who knows the ferret the
best and can tell "when it's time."  Sure, emotions can sometimes get
in the way, but wouldn't Kodo's owner be in a much better position to
decide Kodo's fate than someone trying to decide for him on the basis
of one FML post?!  BIG]