Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:42:55 -0400
>Are yearly boosters really necessary?  Is there proof ferrets lose their
>immunity after their first annual shots?

http://www.ivis.org/advances/Infect_Dis_Carmichael/schultz/chapter_frm.asp?LA=1
Study done on dogs.  Unfortunately there are currently no studies done on
ferrets.

http://www.bogartsdaddy.com/bouvier/health/vaccination-concerns-uk.htm
Study used dogs, but you can see there is a very apparent correlation
between vaccines and health issues.

http://www.2ndchance.info/fervacs.htm       Ron Hines DVM PhD 1/9/04
Determining parental immunity levels in ferret kits is expensive and
rarely run.  So because we do not know just when to vaccinate we give
a series of three or four injections so that at least one of them will
work.  Another problem is that the immune system of young ferrets is
sometimes immature and incapable of mounting a good antibody (titer)
defense to the vaccines.

***Amy comment- I have stated this many times here before the reason for
the series of shots for a kit.  Adult ferrets of unknown vaccine history
only need ONE distemper vac.  They are well past the stage of still
having parental immunity.  You are potentionally harming if you give a
series.  I don t know why 2 shots is recommended.  You have an animal
that may already be in ill health and is more than likely stressed and
you further compromise it's immune system for no reason.  This has to
stop.  Please.***

I know of no scientific studies that have been conducted on length
of immunity in ferrets.  But for most dogs, cats and other mammals,
vaccination induces a serologic response (titer) to both distemper and
rabies that lasts for an extended period in many instances over four
years.

Based on these studies I recommend that ferret kits continue to receive
the series of vaccinations we currently give and that they then receive
booster vaccinations against distemper the following year.  After that,
vaccination every three years should protect them well.

*****Amy Comments- Please read the whole article for more information.

The AVMA has stated that annual vaccinations have no scientific validity
and can do harm to the animal.  The current recommendation is every 3
years for dogs and cats with some vaccines not given to older animals.
Since all vaccines studies were conducted with dogs and cats there is no
direct evidence with ferrets.  It comes down to your choice of acceptable
risks.  I think it is a fair statement to say that your ferret has a
better chance of getting a vaccine related illness than contracting
distemper, but you have to make that choice.  Distemper being a fatal
disease for a ferret only you can decide if that is acceptable.  Some
may chose to go every other year, or every 3 years.  Some may vaccinate
yearly up to a certain age then stop.  I personally feel that every year
is doing more harm than good.  We have already set up these animals for
chronic disease just in the way they are raised.  Early neutering,
improper foods,husbandry, etc.  Overvaccinating just fuels the fire.

  ~Amy~