From:
FerretHill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:44:13 -0600
Bravo Meg!

I totally agree with you about being a college student and being owned by
ferrets at the same time.

What I was most UN-comfortable was the usage of the word "students" or
"college" with being not the ideal owners of ferrets.  We might as well
say that married couples with full time jobs are not ideal owners or that
single mother with two kids is not an ideal owner or the apartment renters
are not the ideal owners.

The FACT that someone is a COLLEGE STUDENT should not automatically set us
into the mode of shaking our heads and say "oh I hope you weren't like that
boy/girl down the street who left behind his/her ferret when he/she went
off to college...."

I bet some of you have not realized the stress this assumtion present to
those good ferret parents who happened to be college students?

What is true is that anyone who loves ferrets and will work to keep them
happy and keep them for life are the ideal owners, regardless of if they
are college students, homeowners, lawyers, or congressmen/women.

In short, BEWARE of sterotyping!

I am a full time graduate student with a teaching job at the university.
There are gonna be days that I will only be able to give a hour to my
ferrets.  But there are other days that they will be made up for it.  I
also make sure I do everything in my power to make sure they are not
neglected.

So what if someone goes home on breaks, provided that he thought of the
ferret before making the decision such as finding a sitter or taking
them with him.

You will be surprised how you will find the ways if you have the will.

--

Ferrethill and the Fab Five

Soda-Pop (lover boy)
Mocha (perfect princess)
Cheswick (chubby irresistible-to-tickle boy)
Foodstamp (playful boy with sharp teeth)
Choco-Sin (new baby, to be registered as DAF Chocolate Sin of
Ferrethill)

* "Real men play with their weasels!"      *
*  http://home.earthlink.net/~ferrethill/  *
*  IQC number: 35125920                    *